Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Light 1 - Update #3 (and fabric addiction!)

I keep forgetting to post, but I'm not forgetting to stitch! I've completed almost all of the cross stitching on the lantern and I've started backstitching at the bottom. Unfortunately, the hoop isn't quite big enough for me to finish the top, so I'll do all the backstitching I can reach, then move the hoop and finish up as quickly as possible so the stitches at the bottom don't get too squished!


I was a bit worried about the backstitching - as you can see, some of the black is thicker than the rest. The pattern calls for either one or two strands of DMC to create the effect, but my thick thread is just one strand! Fortunately I found some very thin sewing threads tucked away in the bottom of the sewing basket, so I'm using those for the thin black and white highlights. I'm really pleased with how the different thicknesses of threads look on this pattern. :)

~~~

mindful stitching thoughts!

I bet you thought I forgot about this, didn't you? :p

I was putting away yet another piece of fabric and realized that my fabric stash is completely out of hand. My fabric is stored in one of those underbed storage containers - it has to be like 20 x 45 inches in size and about 6 inches deep. And it's FULL. I mean, I could fit more fabric in there without a problem, but let's be real... it's full.


There's over 25 yards of hand dyed Belfast in here. Twenty-five!! No one needs that much! And that's not even counting the plain fabrics, of which I have (comparatively) little. Looking back on my list of finishes, I'd say I get through about two yards of fabric in a good year - and that's assuming I pull all of the fabric from my stash, which isn't always the case.

Which means I have about 15-20 years worth of fabric in here. Argggggggh.

Okay, breathe. There is hope. I know there's some stuff in here I won't use, like 28ct evenweaves and weird colors I impulse bought because they were on clearance. And there's definitely duplicates - not exact ones, but I'm pretty sure I have about 395793579235 blue fabrics. I know I need to go through these and be honest with myself about what I won't use (even if it's gorgeous) and let them go.

But the most important step is to stop bringing fabric in! I tend to make a large Crafty Kitten order every year around my birthday, but I need to pass this year. Actually, a lot of this craziness happened because the exchange rate has been really favorable in the past few years and I thought it was a good opportunity to stock up. Someone slap me.

Also, no, you can't start hoarding 40ct linen just because you like it. USE WHAT YOU HAVE.

I think my next update will include pics of what I purged from my stash. :p

Monday, May 15, 2017

Light 1 - Update #2

Long time no post! But I have a lot of progress to share on Light 1 by Alisa Okneas. I managed to get a picture that's pretty true to the actual colors for once. Go me! :)


I'm absolutely in love with the beautiful colors in this piece! It's even better in person.

The only tricky part so far has been dealing with blended colors on 40 count fabric. I've been doing the bottom leg in one color and the top leg in the other, which seems to work pretty well. I did have to make a few modifications, since a couple of the blends use white, and the second color looked really overpowering when crossed over the white (I've been consistently putting white on the bottom). So just a few little changes to lighten up a couple of the blended colors. Looks great, though!

I'm pretty sure backstitching this will be a nightmare - there's soooo much! - but I'm going to enjoy this part for now. Haha. :p

Monday, May 08, 2017

a finish and a start!

First up, my finish of the Beautiful Sea Quaker SAL by Ship's Manor! The image is cut off a bit because I decided to scan this after my phone camera took a horrible picture. This scan is much more accurate to the true colors of the threads and fabric.

I really enjoyed this project despite the problem with the kit being short the border thread and I'm looking forward to the seasonal SAL that Ship's Manor is putting together right now. :3


I discovered a designer named Алисы Окнеас (Alisa Okneas) after someone made a post on Facebook showing off a finish of one of the mushroom designs shown below. Someone else posted a link to a Russian stitching site called My Bobbin, and I immediately snagged the eight designs shown below! They're all PDF charts so no worries about shipping, plus they take Paypal. :)


The site's all in Russian but if you're using Chrome, just right click and choose "translate" and the machine translation is good enough to do a bit of shopping! The only tricky bit is that you check out without paying, then you have to wait a few minutes for an email requesting payment. Follow the link in the email and check out with Paypal, and you'll get another email with download links. It's really simple, there's just a few steps to the process.

And of course, I had to start one of my new pretties right away. This is the second design in the top row, Фонарик 1 (Light 1). I'm stitching on 40ct linen because I'm crazy. And also because this will allow me to fit two of these designs on a fat eighth. I'm getting kind of addicted to tiny fabric...


And oops, I just realized that I completely ignored all of my goals last month. I'm not especially interested in setting new ones for this month either! I just want to enjoy my stitching without feeling pressured to do anything specific, so I'll make May a goal-free month. :p